Sealy's German immigrants were famous for their love of music. A group of men, some of them Sealy's pioneer settlers, had formed a singing society, called Liedertafel, by 1899. They met primarily in the home of Ferdinand Lux. Lux and Fritz Kinkler, Jr., gave land for the establishment of a permanent building in 1912-1914. One of a number of round frame dance halls built in German communities in Texas, this structure was erected beginning in 1914. The eight-sided hall was built from materials purchased from the F. W. Hackbarth Lumber Company. There were about 19 singing society members in 1914, and they hosted many concerts, festivals and dances for the community. The Liedertafel Hall was a popular gathering place for special events for many years. Other organizations, lodges and churches used the grounds and hall for their own celebrations, as well. In 1934 the Sealy Volunteer Fire Department began holding its annual "Firemen's Frolic" fundraiser at the hall. By 1944 the building was in need of repair and the singing society members were aging. Stockholders voted to sell the hall and land to the fire department, which raised funds to purchase and renovate the structure. It became known as the Firemen's Hall. In June 1945 the new "Fireman's Park" opened with a celebration. The following year, The Houston Post reported 5,000 attendees at the "Firemen's Frolic." The firemen donated the hall to a local historical society in 1995. Renovations began that year. (2000)
415 Main Street
Sealy, TX 77474-2232
PO Box 517
Sealy, TX 77474-0517
Phone: (979) 885-3511
Fax: (979) 885-3513
The City of Sealy will strive to assure the highest quality of life for those who choose to live, work, and play here while protecting the City's economic well-being for current and future generations.
The City of Sealy is dedicated to preserving our history of excellence while continually investing in our future of progress.
Copyright © City of Sealy,Texas. All rights reserved. | Website Policies and Disclaimer